Post Ops Instructions
It is important to follow instructions after you have oral surgery to ensure proper healing and to avoid complications. As a rule of thumb, you should always wait two hours after surgery before eating to let the anesthesia wear off. Trying to eat before this could result in soft tissue damage because you are not able to feel all of your mouth. The instructions found below are guidelines. After your surgery the doctor or dental assistant will give you full instructions on how to properly recover from surgery.
Care of Mouth After a Crown Procedure
Crown procedure requires some precaution once procedure is performed.
- Try to avoid using side of mouth with the crown.
- Avoid chewy and sticky Foods like chewing gum, caramel etc. These foods can stick to crown and pull it out.
- While cleaning your mouth, be careful.
- You might find your gum tissue sensitive to some kind of food, to get relief rinse your mouth with warm water and salt
- Do not bite your crown for few hours allow it to set so that cement can harden to it’s full strength
If you find your crown is loose or sense soreness in mouth contact your dentist.
Care of Mouth After an Extraction
Care of mouth after an extraction is extremely important for fast healing and reducing the pain which a person might experience post extraction.
Type of food to eat: After extraction avoid solid food and take only soft food for few days. Avoid drinking alcohol, hot drinks, drinking from straw, smoking, or flossing vigorously.
Bleeding and its care: little bleeding post extraction is normal so to control it you need to bite on gauze placed by your dentist. For too much bleeding bite on regular tea bag as tannic acid present in tea bag helps in controlling bleeding. Bite on gauze or tea bag till bleeding stops.
Swelling and it’s care: wrap ice in a towel and keep it on cheek near extraction site. Continue it periodically till swelling reduces.
Rest well: post extraction rest well and sleep with head in elevated position
Brush your teeth gently and keep extracted area clean. If you experience extreme bleeding, swell, fever or pain consult dentist.
Care of Mouth After Root Canal Therapy
During Root canal therapy your dentist will remove pulp from center of decayed tooth and fills the pulp cavity.Once anesthetic wears off you might feel throbbing pain. So after care is important to reduce the pain and heal faster.
- Do not eat anything for few hours post root canal therapy
- Medication is very critical hence take prescribed medicine by your dentist on time.
- Give filling time to set and become hard, do not touch tooth with filling unnecessarily in the mean time.
- Brush and floss gently
- Do not chew or eat hard or chewy food.
- Soreness in mouth around treated area is expected but if you are experiencing prolonged pain and soreness beyond a week, kindly call your dentist.
Care of Mouth After Scaling and Root Planning
After scaling and root planing experiencing soreness and pain is normal. But time of healing and pain can be reduced to great extent by taking proper medicine and care.
- Brush your teeth gently as gum tissues might be tender.
- Rinse your mouth with saline rinse or antimicrobial rinse for a week.
- Avoid chewing hard food such as non-vegetarian food or raw fruits and vegetables.
- For tooth sensitivity use a desensitizing toothpaste which consist potassium nitrite.
Care of Mouth After Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening are done to improve color and smile. Care is needed after teeth whitening procedure to maintain the shine and whiteness of teeth. Following steps can be taken to maintain your pearly teeth.
- Brush twice a day with tooth paste which has whitening property.
- Beverages like Tea or coffee can stain and turn your teeth yellowish. Use straw while drinking such decolorizing liquid.
- Floss your mouth after taking your meals and snacks.
A check-up and dental cleaning is the most common reason that patients visit the dentist. It is also the best way to help prevent the development of oral health concerns such as cavities and periodontal disease. The following review highlights what happens at a check-up and dental cleaning visit to help you physically and mentally…
Professional teeth whitening treatments are one of the most effective ways to drastically improve the way your teeth look. These treatments use bleaching agents like hydrogen peroxide and hydrogen carbamide to bleach stains and discoloration away from teeth.A single whitening treatment performed by a dentist can improve the color of a person’s teeth by up…
Partial dentures are a great way to improve your smile, oral health, and ability to function by replacing missing teeth. It is helpful to have a full understanding of what partial dentures are and why they are often the more preferable treatment solution for patients to decide if treatment is right for you.This review defines…
Learning about the different stages of gum disease is important. With each stage, the disease progresses, making quick treatment important. When it comes to periodontitis, this stage of the disease is an advanced stage, which means there may already be damage to the gums and/or teeth.Even though making regular dental checkup appointments helps prevent patients…
If your teeth are misshapen, cosmetic dentistry can improve your smile. Several cosmetic dentistry procedures can help to correct this type of problem. Your dentist can recommend the ideal option depending on your needs. Read on to find out more about effective treatment options for misshapen teeth.Over the years, cosmetic dental treatments have improved in…